December 12 — The Economic Cost of LGBT Stigma and Discrimination in South Africa
Despite having one of the more progressive legal landscapes for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people, many LGBT South Africans experience barriers to economic inclusion based on their race, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity and expression. Join us in a discussion of highlights from the new, groundbreaking report, The Economic Cost of LGBT Stigma and Discrimination in South Africa.
- Provide a short overview of the current status of LGBT rights and well-being in South Africa.
- Discuss the historical and sociopolitical context of attitudes towards LGBT people and laws that impact them.
- Review sociodemographic and health characteristics of LGBT South Africans based on groundbreaking analyses of the 2011 South Africa Census and 2015/16 South African Social Attitudes Survey (SASAS).
- Review the economic costs of LGBT stigma and discrimination in South Africa.
- Discuss next steps to improve conditions for LGBT people in South Africa.